I'm Black and I'm Proud:



BSU GENERAL MEETING SEPTEMBER 8, 2017

There will be pizza at this meeting.

Agenda 12:45 - 1:15
  • Sign in the Google Form
  • Watch the Video
  • Make a video
  • Pizza is served
  • Sing the Black National Anthem



I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD: INTRODUCTIONS
Today we will introduce ourselves to the community. We will watch a short music video from 1968. It is a video of James Brown performing his famous song, I'm Black and I'm Proud. Watch the video and then make your own video!

In your video
1. State your first name
2. Tell why you are proud to be Black
OR Black and Filipino OR Chinese OR Cambodian OR Venezuelan OR whoever you happen to be : )

Please upload the video to you tube and then login to the BSU You Tube Channel to upload.
UN = blackstudentunionemail
PW = TBA

This password will expire at the end of the meeting, so if you don't get a chance to upload, please come see me in room 206 to upload.


HISTORY OF THE SONG

Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud" is a funk song performed by James Brown and written with his bandleader Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis in 1968. It was released as a two-part single which held the number-one spot on the R&B singles chart for six weeks, and peaked at number ten on the Billboard Hot 100.[1][2] Both parts of the single were later included on James Brown's 1968 album A Soulful Christmas and on his 1969 album sharing the title of the song. The song became an unofficial anthem of the Black Power movement.

In the song, Brown addresses the prejudice towards blacks in America, and the need for black empowerment. He proclaims that "we demands a chance to do things for ourself/we're tired of beating our head against the wall/and workin' for someone else". The song's call-and-response chorus is performed by a group of young children, who respond to Brown's command of "Say it loud" with "I'm black and I'm proud!"[3] The song was recorded in a Los Angeles area suburb with about 30 young people from the Watts and Compton areas.[4]
The lyrics "We've been 'buked and we've been scorned/We've been treated bad, talked about as sure as you're born" in the first verse of the song paraphrase the spiritual "I've Been 'Buked".
Several other Brown singles from the same era as "Say It Loud – I'm Black and I'm Proud", notably "I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It Myself)", explored similar themes of black empowerment and self-reliance.

Comments

Popular Posts